Dine Bizaad: Speak, Read, Write Navajo
Semester 1: August to December
Review: Introduction, numbers, colors, months, family terms, etc.
Lesson 1 Goals:
- Learn usual greeting. Introduce yourself and start a conversation. Ask a person's name and inquire where the person lives. Ask and answer positive questions. Use independent and possessive personal pronouns.
Lesson 2 Goals:
- Ask and answer yes/no questions. Negate a statement. Use family relationship terms. Practice use of place names.
Lesson 3 Goals:
- Ask for help. Talk about: "to work". Learn the cardinal numbers 1 to 10. Learn pluralization.
Lesson 4 Goals:
- Telling time by years and months. Learn use of: "to forget," "to remember" and "maybe". Learn to construct subordinate clauses.
Lesson 5 Goals:
- Learn another way of expressing possession. Learn to use nominalizes. Be able to use adjectives. Learn to express: "to read" and " to read it".
Review for Mid Term: CSA
Semester 2: January to May
Lesson 6 Goals:
- Learn to invite someone into the house. Inviting someone back. Learn to ask the names of things in the classroom. Ask for repetition.
Lesson 7 Goals:
- Learn to tell where one resides. Learn to give a reason for actions. Be able to tell of happenings in the past. Use locative and directional enclitics.
Lesson 8 Goals:
- Students will learn colors. Learn to express: "few and many". Learn the names of a few farm animals. Use the verb: "to tell". Make statement with future sense.
Lesson 9 Goals:
- Ability to quote people. Learn to speak about going places. Be able to describe means of travel. Use the verb: "to hear". Learn to speak of future time. Be able to express purpose of actions.
Lesson 10 Goals:
- Learn to express: "together". Use imperfective mode: "to help". Be able to talk about work around the house: "being at home", "taking care of things" and "weaving". Expressing interest in activities. Learn to express a conditional particle.
Review for Finals: CSA