Revised AP Exams May 2020
The College Board has announced that all in-person AP tests have been canceled for this year due to safety concerns related to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
In their place, the College Board will make AP tests available to be taken from home via a 45-minute online exam. There will be 2 different testing dates for each AP subject area test. Also, any student already registered for an exam can choose to cancel at no charge. Please email Barrett Tritle at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you would like to cancel your test(s).
Please see the information below from the College Board regarding this opportunity:
- For the 2019–20 exam administration only, students can take a 45-minute online free-response exam at home. Educator-led development committees are currently selecting the exam questions that will be administered.
- AP curricula are locally developed and we defer to local decisions on how best to help student complete coursework. To be fair to all students, some of whom have lost more instructional time than others, the exam will only include topics and skills most AP teachers and students have already covered in class by early March.
- Colleges support this solution and are committed to ensuring that AP students receive the credit they have worked this year to earn. For decades, colleges have accepted a shortened AP Exam for college credit when groups of students have experienced emergencies.
- Students will be able to take these streamlined exams on any device they have access to—computer, tablet, or smartphone. Taking a photo of handwritten work will also be an option.
- We recognize that the digital divide could prevent some low-income and rural students from participating. Working with partners, we will invest so that these students have the tools and connectivity they need to review AP content online and take the exam.
Ongoing updates, guidance and resources may be found on the College Board’s page for AP Updates for Schools Impacted by the Coronavirus.
Additionally, the College Board has created a site with free review prep for each of the test. This site includes information regarding free live online AP review courses delivered by AP teachers that are scheduled to begin on March 25th and any testing information. Please have your student log into their Collegeboard AP Student account and under the tab of Coronavirus (COVID-19) info, they will find all the links for the daily review schedules for each of the classes.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. We are here to support you, as we’re able. Thank you again for all you are doing to support your students, family and community through this time! Stay safe!