Algebra Foundations 2020-2021 Teacher Information
Course Syllabus Mr. Mike Jenkins
This is a course to prepare students for Algebra 1 or to get ready for Consumer Math. Students participating in this class require remediation on their Algebra skills before moving ahead. This class will help students to build a strong foundation by re-teaching and reinforcing the skills and concepts they may not have mastered in earlier grades.
Textbook and workbook
Calculators are welcomed in the class for some sections. It is up to the student to have their own calculator as there is no class set.
Materials to be brought to class daily
Pencils (no work will be accepted in pen)
One or two inch binder for all handouts
Assignment due that day
Be a Responsible Student
- Demonstrate respect for each other, the teacher and the property of Flagstaff High School.
- Are prepared to work when the bell rings with all materials.
- Complete all assignments and ask for help when they do not understand something.
- Follow all the policies of Flagstaff High School.
Students who choose not to respect the rights of others will be asked to leave the classroom and report to the responsible thinking classroom (RTC).
Assignments are given in class and students are given time to finish in class. Students are expected to complete all assignments. If a student does not complete the assignment during class time it is their responsibility to complete as homework. Each day we will review the previous night’s assignment and have time for questions.
I am available most days after school. Exceptions to this will be when I have after school meetings, and during winter sports season. I coach the varsity men’s soccer team.
Grades are by category:
assignments- 10 pts
quizzes- 25-50 points
Please use the District wide program Synergy to keep up on your students progress
All quizzes are available for retesting. Students will need to work on remediation questions in order to requiz. You have ONE WEEK from receiving the quiz to make it up. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE FINAL EXAM!
Excused Absences and Make-up work
Students have one day for each day they have an excused absence to make-up missed work. Quizzes must be made up after-school or during lunch. Notes for each day are available for students to review and copy if they choose. If a student is absent from class for only the one day before a test and in class the day of the test, then they are expected to take the test. No new information is presented on a review day and at least one week’s notice is given before each test.
Students may not receive points for work missed or collected during an unexcused absence.
Late work will be accepted for points!!!
Progress reports are sent home through the office every 3 weeks for all students.
Parents/Guardians please review this syllabus with your student. Complete this section and have your student return it as soon as possible.
Student name _________________________________________
Parent name __________________________________________
Parent signature ________________________________________
You may tear this piece off for your reference.
The easiest way to contact me is through e-mail. Please feel free to contact me at anytime.
I am looking forward to a great semester with all the students
Algebra Foundations 2013-2014 Teacher Information
Mr. Mike Jenkins
Please read and review the course syllabus with your student. E-mail is the quickest and easiest way to keep in contact. If you have access to e-mail and fill in your address, I will be able to keep contact with you.
Student name _____________________________________
Parent/guardian Name ______________________________
q e-mail ___________________________________
q home phone # ______________________________
q cell phone # _______________________________
q work phone # ______________________________
Please check your preferred way for me to contact you.
If you have any questions, comment or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail: email@example.com or via the school phone in the main office: 773-8100.
Mr. Mike Jenkins
FHS Mathematics Teacher
Please Have Your Student Return This Form!
Algebra Foundations Course Outline
Chapter 1 Expressions, Unit Analysis, and Problem Solving
· Write and Evaluate Powers
· Order of Operations
· Using Formulas
· Using Unit Analysis
· Write and Evaluate Algebraic Expressions
· Using Problem Solving Plan
Chapter 2 Fractions
- Simplify Fractions
- Write Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions
- Add and Subtract Fractions with Same Denominator
- Add and Subtract Fractions with Different Denominators
- Multiplying Fractions
- Find Reciprocals
- Dividing Fractions
Chapter 3 Decimals and Percents
- Add and Subtract Decimals
- Multiply Decimals
- Divide Decimals
- Convert between Fractions and Decimals
- Write Decimals and Fractions as Percents
- Find the Percent of a Number
Chapter 4 Integers
- Compare and Order Integers
- Add Integers
- Subtract Integers
- Multiply Integers
- Divide Integers
Chapter 5 Rational Numbers and their Properties
· Compare and Order Rational Numbers
- Add and Subtract Rational Numbers
- Use the Properties of Addition
- Multiply and Divide Rational Numbers
- Use the Properties of Multiplication
- Use the Distributive Property
Chapter 6 Exponents
- Multiply Powers with the Same Base
- Divide Powers with the same Base
- Use Zero and Negative Exponents
- Simplify Expressions Involving Exponents
Chapter 7 Square Roots and Pythagorean Theorem
· Find Square Roots of Perfect Squares
- Approximate Square Roots
- Use the Pythagorean Theorem
- Use the Converse of the Pythagorean Theorem
Chapter 8 Equations in One Variable
- Solve Equations Involving Addition or Subtraction
- Solve Equations Involving Multiplication or Division
- Solving Two Step Equations
- Solve equations with Fractions and Decimals
- Solve Equations Using Distributive Property
- Solve Rate Problems
Chapter 9 Inequalities in One Variable
- Write and Graph Simple Inequalities
- Solve Inequalities Involving Addition or Subtraction
- Solve Inequalities Involving Multiplication or Division
· Solving Two Step Inequalities
Chapter 10 Linear Equations in Two Variables
· Graph in the Coordinate Plane
· Graph Linear Equations in Standard Form
· Graph Horizontal and Vertical Lines
· Graph Using Intercepts
· Find Slope
· Graph from Slope Intercept Form