What is my child learning in 2nd Grade?
Reading and Writing
- Read the first 300 high-frequency words.
- Read 2nd grade materials accurately, fluently and with expression.
- Follow written, multi-step directions.
- Increase understanding and use of the writing process
- Spell high-frequency words correctly
- Use writing for various purposes
Order whole #'s to 999
Tell time to the quarter hour
- Know fast math facts for +,-,x
- create and label graphs
- Use money values to $1
- add and subtract one- and two -digit #'s using regrouping
Predict and compare the results of science investigations/experiments
Identify functions and major parts of the digestive, respiratory and circulatory systems
Classify materials as solids, liquids or gases
- Explore insects and butterflies
- Measure & record weather conditions
- Emergence of our nation, its holidays, and symbols
- Development of civilizations and cultures with focus on westward expansion and Asia
What can I do to help my child learn?
Set up a quiet, well-lit area and regular time for homework
Limit time watching television and playing video games.
Read to you child every day... or, better yet, let them read to you
Visit the library regularly and let you child select his or her own booksPlay games with your child that build reading, counting, and math skillshttp://ade.state.az.us to see a more complete list of standards and skills for 2nd gradeWe encourage you to become involved in your child's education!Contact the teacher to learn what you can do.Lisa Buffington email@example.comKristen Doughman firstname.lastname@example.orgTaryn Wallace email@example.comStacy Wheeler firstname.lastname@example.org
See specific class information on Staff Pages