National Junior Honor Society
Mount Elden Middle School
National Junior Honor Society 2014-2015
Requirements for Student Membership
- Grade point average of 3.5 or higher
- Must be enrolled as a fill time student at Mount Elden Middle School for the 2014-2015 school year
- Must display qualities of scholarship, leadership, service, citizenship and character
- Students transferring membership, must provide proof of membership and will become automatic members
- Selection of members is made by the Faculty Council
Student Requirement to Remain Active
- Must have 160 points per semester. Points to be calculated as follows:
20 points outside community service hours per quarter (1 hours = 1 point/3-4 hours per week)
20 school service hours per semester (Green house project, school wide clean up, etc.)
25 NJHS sponsored community service hours per semester (Each NJHS event will have points awarded)
75 points accumulated from attending NJHS meetings per semester (1 point per meeting)
- Attend all meetings (note prior to meeting if student is unable to attend)
- Participate in all community service opportunities and projects sponsored by NJHS
- Must maintain a 3.5 G.P.A. or higher per quarter
- Must continue to display qualities of scholarship, leadership, service, citizenship and character
- Active members attend all meetings and participate in all projects and community service opportunities
- Members may choose inactive status to fulfill other obligations for a portion of the year
Grounds for Dismissal
- P.A. lower than 3.5 for more than one quarter
- Frequent referrals to the Responsible Thinking Room-no more than 3 per quarter
- Fails to display qualities of scholarship, leadership, service, citizenship or character
- Fails to meet community service hour requirements
- Misses two meetings without documentation
- Does not meet the required 160 points per semester
- Does not participate in two projects or community service opportunities
- Students with a G.P.A. of below a 3.5 for one quarter shall be placed on probation for the following quarter. If the student fails to raise the G.P.A. to a 3.5 or higher, the Faculty Council will review the case and make a decision on membership status.
- Members who fall below the standards for member shall be warned in writing by the chapter advisor, and given a reasonable amount of time to correct the deficiency except for in case of a flagrant violation of school rules or civil laws.
- The Faculty Council shall determine when an individual has exceeded a reasonable number of warnings at which time the Faculty Council will review the case to make a decision on membership status.
- Members who have been dismissed may appeal the decision of the Faculty Council. The principal shall receive all appeals.
- The Faculty Council shall consist of five voting faculty members.
- The chapter adviser shall be the ex-officio, non-voting member of the Faculty Council.
The Faculty Council shall meet at least once a year to review the procedures of the chapter, select members and to consider non-selection, dismissal, other disciplinary actions and warning cases.
- Officers shall be elected by the members after member induction.
- The Executive Board consists of The President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasure, Public Relations and
- Meetings will be held on Thursdays from 2:30pm until 4:15pm for members.
- Special meeting may be held when necessary.
- Meeting will be conducted according to Robert’s rules of order, newly revised.
- Dues of $ 15.00 are requested by all members. This will be put towards an NJHS t-shirt that will be worn at all sponsored event and to buy NJHS supplies for induction ceremony in April/May.
Induction of New Members
- Induction ceremonies will be conducted once a year in April or May.
- Current members are expected to attend the induction of the new members
- Students with exceptional service hours will be honored.
- Selected students become members when inducted in a special ceremony
Our goal is to contribute to both MEMS and the larger community through service work.If you have questions about NJHS, please contact Ms. Dehaven at firstname.lastname@example.org.