Coconino High School Health Office
The Health Office at Coconino High School provides on-campus health screenings, assessment, and education as well as first-aid and nursing care for students and staff. The Health Office is not a primary care facility. By law, the nurse is not allowed to make a medical diagnosis or prescribe treatment. When accidents or illness occur during school hours, basic first-aid and/or emergency care will be given according to Arizona State Board of Nursing standards and practices. The nurse may suggest further medical follow up in certain circumstances. Further care is the responsibility of the parents.
School Nursing Responsibilities and Services
School nurses are the link between health care and education;
- Providing health care to students, staff, and parents
- Providing education on health, nutrition, special health care needs, assessing health care needs.
- Interpreting medical orders, medical reports, and terminology
- Being a liaison with staff, students, parents, medical community, community health agencies, hospitals
- Providing problem-solving techniques for complex medical, ethical, issues safe medication administration by students with ADHD, diabetes, asthma, epilepsy
- Providing health assessments, vision screening, and hearing screening.
- Providing communicable disease control including immunization referrals and follow up for students