Welcome to Gifted Education
The governing board and staff of Flagstaff Unified School District are committed to the encouragement of excellence and optimal talent development among gifted students. To do so, FUSD is committed to providing an array of services to support the varying academic, social and emotional needs of these students. The diversity of individuals and cultures will be honored and integrated into curricular content.
Educational programs are designed to use differentiated instructional strategies which will include but are not limited to the use of acceleration, complexity, depth, tiered instruction, “hands-on” in class learning, creativity, projects, and independent study.
Learning environments will incorporate activities to help students develop the following traits and skills: independence, openness to new ideas, innovation, exploration, self monitoring, creativity, planning and decision-making and other executive thinking processes.
The state of Arizona’s definition: “Gifted child” means a child who is of lawful school age, who due to superior intellect or advanced learning ability, or both, is not afforded an opportunity for otherwise attainable progress and development in regular classroom instruction and who needs special instruction, or special ancillary services, or both to achieve at levels commensurate with his/her intellect and ability.”
Federal Definition (Javits – 1988): “The term gifted and talented student means children and youths who”:
- Give evidence of higher performance capability in such areas as intellectual, creative, artistic or leadership capacity or in specific academic fields; and who
- Require services or activities not ordinarily provided by the schools in order to develop such capabilities fully.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I have my student assessed for Giftedness?
- Parents, teachers, community members, or students can request Gifted testing through the student's general eduation teacher and/or the school sites Program Specilaist.
How often does FUSD offer Gifted testing?
- FUSD offers Gifted testing three times during an academic year. Typically testing sessions are offered in October, December, and February.
Department Fax: (928) 527-6181
- FUSD Administration Building 3285 E. Sparrow Ave. Flagstaff, AZ 86004
- Susan Smith