Communications and Public Relations
The Flagstaff Unified School District Communications and Public Relations Department’s charge is to support district and school initiatives in a highly competitive market for student attendance and team member recruitment, while also functioning as the public information outlet for district level information dissemination. The Communications team is dedicated to meeting high standards in the areas of content development, media outreach, graphic design, photography, and user experience to ensure that FUSD’s story of professionalism and compassion are appropriately shared amongst key stakeholder groups in alignment with the FUSD Strategic Plan.
FUSD Communications will continue to work with departments and school sites on comprehensive campaign solutions aimed at increasing public knowledge and interest in the district. Campaigns can be multifaceted in the approach and can range from multi-month marketing campaigns through digital and traditional means to enhancing event coverage that highlights programs and activities offered throughout FUSD. Campaigns may utilize a number of different communications channels that include the following resources.
- Website - The FUSD website and school sites will become the base of all FUSD information and communications. The site functions as an internal and external resource that will be deployed strategically to drive long form messaging in conjunction with the following communications channels.
- Employee E-Newsletter - In time for the return of FUSD employees in the Fall, Communications will work with Cabinet in producing relevant content to inform stakeholders. The goal of this outlet is to enhance employee knowledge of district-wide information and foster brand ambassadors who are in the loop regarding current information prior to broader communication efforts.
- Community E-Newsletter - Containing broader FUSD-wide public updates, the community enewsletter will utilize the Student Information System (SIS) in sharing information to families. Information from this resource will also be re-packaged in bite-sized content for web and social.
- Mass Notifications - Updated for the 2019-2020 school year, the SIS based system will allow designated administrators to send specific messages within their particular sites. The update has a lot of opportunities for users to update families with a call, text, app push notification, website updates, and eventually, social media accounts through a single app - a resource that will aid in updating pertinent content on the web and social. Additionally, this rollout represents the first ubiquitous use of text messaging district-wide.
- Social Media - For all of the information that is provided through traditional platforms, FUSD is well positioned to expand the reach of the content through district-based social media accounts. The goal for the 2019-2020 school year is to expand the coordinated use of social media by all sites to extend the reach of key messages and overall public impressions. Social media accounts currently utilized include Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Flickr.
- Peachjar - The Peachjar flier distribution system continues to gain in use from third party groups, but Communications is looking to utilize the system to enhance district-based communications offering for longer term registration efforts.
- Media Relations - Communications works on a daily basis with media partners to share and respond to potential stories. The partnership is helpful in navigating community interests and sharing student experiences.
- Advertising - There are a number of paid advertising opportunities that will continue to be utilized and include radio advertising (KAFF and KNAU) in addition to the quarterly CityScape publication.
- Events - The Communications Department works with schools, departments, and community organizations to support and lead events throughout the year. Examples include STEM Night and the annual Back to School Supply Drive.
- Photography - Often considered a tactic, photography is a strategic interest of FUSD Communications. A visual has a driving force that can make any idea accessible. Through the development of a photography-based department, Communications uses this tool in all other methods of outreach.
Flagstaff Unified School District to Start School Year with Remote Learning
Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, Catherine Robinson, is Honored with the Educated Adviser Award at Virtual National Leadership Conference
FUSD Participates in National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program
FUSD Launching Summer Elementary Learning Hub
Flagstaff Unified School District Approves ‘Safely Forward’ School Reopening Plan
FUSD Governing Board Approves Calendar Revision for Remainder of Academic Year