International Baccalaureate Admissions Policy
Coconino High School believes that all students should be encouraged to challenge themselves academically and personally and therefore will provide every opportunity for students to do just that. Our goal is to provide opportunities and supports so that students who desire a challenge will be successful. The guiding principles of access and equity will always be at the forefront of the IB Diploma Programme for Coconino High School. Students at Coconino High School will have the opportunity to pursue either the full IB Diploma or individual IB Course Certificates.
Regardless of which programme the student indicates interest, (the full Diploma or Course Certificates) the student will not be required to take an entrance exam or submit evidence of ability through a minimum standardized test score, grade point average, or subject grade.
- The first step towards the IB Diploma or Certificate is to elect to take the challenge.
- Interested students must complete the CHS IB Student Interest Form. While students might be pursuing the Diploma or Certificate because of parent interest, it is the students who are self-motivated that will be the most successful.
- Sophomore students who express an interest in the full Diploma will attend a meeting with the IB DP Coordinator and the students’ parents and a review of the student’s academic and personal successes will be discussed. Any concerns from the student, parents, teachers, or coordinator will be addressed at this time. We will also provide suggestions and support to those parents and students as they begin to pursue the IB Diploma Programme.
- Students who do not wish to attempt the full IB Diploma may take one or more of the IB subjects during their junior and senior years. Diploma Candidate students will have priority for course selection Students should speak with their current year teachers to determine the best course of study. All decisions regarding course selection and participation in the IB Diploma Programme must be approved by the student’s parent or guardian. This may be done through the normal course request form completed each year during online course request and registration. Note: The Theory of Knowledge (ToK) course is only available to students pursuing the full IB Diploma.
Coconino High School recognizes the level of rigor in the IB Diploma Programme and supports students in their decisions to take challenging and rigorous courses. If a student feels for any reason that they want to exit the programme the student will use the following procedures:
- Have a conversation with the specific teacher whose course they wish to exit and make a plan to get additional support or address any student concerns.
- If after the additional support is provided the student still has concerns about pursuing this course of study the student must schedule a meeting with the IB Diploma Coordinator and Academic Counselor.
- After the conversation with the IB Diploma Coordinator, the IB Diploma Coordinator will schedule a meeting with the student’s parents and school administration.
All decisions regarding course selection and participation in the IB Diploma Programme must be approved by the student’s parent or guardian. This may be done through the course request form completed each year during online course request and registration
Information for non-Coconino High School Students
Students who wish to enroll in the Coconino High School IB Diploma Programme are required to register as a full-time student with Coconino High School. Coconino High School, as a part of the Flagstaff Unified School District, recognizes open enrollment, meaning that anyone living within the Flagstaff Unified School District boundary may register as a student regardless of their designated boundary school. These students will need to provide their own transportation, in accordance with district guidelines. Students interested in transferring to Coconino High School should contact the School Counseling Office.
Inspiration for this admissions policy came from discussions with CHS Administration, the Diploma Coordinator, and faculty as well as the admissions policy from Springbrook High School in Maryland.
“Springbrook High School - International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme Admissions Policy”. Springbrook High School, Montgomery Schools, Maryland. Springbrook High School Website.
IB Student Documents
IB Student 4-Year Planner
Plan out your student's course work using this IB 4-year planner/template. For specific questions, contact the IB Coordinator at IB@fusd1.org.